Refugee Day Houston
Saturday, June 16th, 2012
1:00 – 5:00PM
Baker-Ripley Neighborhood Center
6500 Rookin St.
Houston, TX 77074
(click here for map/directions)
World Refugee Day aims to raise awareness about the 21st century’s refugee challenge. Around the world people are forced to flee their homes for complicated and interlinked reasons that include war, political violence, exclusion, and the competition for scarce resources in troubled states. Through this event, every year we celebrate refugees who have come a long way and have made Houston their new home. This event is open to the community and will showcase various countries, and cultures through music, art, dancing, children’s activities and entertainment.
- Opening Ceremony and Proclamation
- Children’s Activities: a mix of different games and activities for children
- Education: A series of mini-documentaries about the plight of refugees around the world
- Entertainment: A showcase of musical performances (both song and dance) by refugees
- Resource Fair: Various organizations will provide outreach and advertise their services